Ayurveda Spinach & Coconut Soup
After a spell of bitterly cold weather nothing warms and nourishes quite like a hot bowl of hearty soup. Ayurveda loves soups. They are nutritious, easy to digest and they are ideal for the light evening meal. Made with fresh organic vegetables, grains, pasta, beans, dhals, herbs and traditional Ayurvedic spices, soups make great Ayurvedic dietary anchors. Soups can easily be accompanied by chapattis (flatbread) making a meal you will want to come back to. Here is an easy Ayurvedic soup recipe.
- 500g fresh spinach, washed and chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon ghee
- 1 dash of nutmeg
- ¾ cup cream of coconut or 1½ cups soy or rice milk
- 3 cups of water or 2 cups water if using soy or rice milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat ghee in a soup pot. Sauté cumin seeds until lightly browned. Add spinach and water. Bring to a boil and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Add cream of coconut or the rice or soy milk and nutmeg. Cook another 3 minutes. Place soup in a blender or food processor. Blend for about 5 seconds, just enough to purée it gently. Season to taste and serve hot.