Sciatica is a condition in which the symptoms of pain that travel along the sciatic nerve and is felt in the buttocks, down the back of the legs and in some cases into the foot, usually affects one side of lower body, depending on where the sciatic nerve is affected. This due to the compression on the sciatic nerve, hence the pain. However the pain may be due to trigger points in the soft tissue. This article talks about Sciatica and Ayurveda Management.
Common symptoms include;
- The people sometimes can feel , burning or tingling down the leg.
- Weakness , numbness or difficulty for moving the leg or foot.
- A constant pain on one side the buttock.
- A shooting pain that makes it difficult to stand up.
- Pain in the buttock or leg that is worse when sitting.
It is caused by irritation of the sciatic nerve. A slipped disc is the most common cause of sciatica. A sudden injury or twist can result an injury to the disc. The soft inner core of the disc then extrudes through the outer core of the disc this then results in bulging causing pressure on the adjacent nerve.
Other common causes include,
- Lumbar spinal stenosis (narrowing of the spinal canal in the lower back).
- Degenerative disc disease (breakdown of discs ,which as cushions between the vertebrae, which is a natural process that occurs with age).
- Spondylolisthesis (A condition in which one vertebrae slips forward over another one).
- Spinal tumors and spinal infections(Although it is very rare ,tumors and infections can compress the sciatic nerve).
- Trauma(Sciatica can develop because of direct nerve compression from the outside force. For example ,could be injured in a car accident ,resulting in a pinched nerve on lower back)
Other reasons that may make back pain worse include being overweight, not exercising regularly, wearing high heels, or sleeping on a mattress that is too soft.
Sciatica and Ayurveda Management:
Ayurveda categorises sciatica as a one off diseases caused by vitiation Vata (one of the principle doshas in the body , responsible for the movement and functionality of the body). Sometimes even Kapha (the dosha responsible for lubrication and bodily fluids) vitiation along with vata (vata kapha) also causes sciatica. Treatment concentrates on bringing back the aggravated vata or vata kapha to the state of equilibrium and thereby to the state of health.
- Abyanga swedam (Body massage with steam) , Podikkizhi , Kadeevasthy are the some of the important procedures in Ayurveda for sciatica problem.
- At our authentic Kerala Ayurveda Centre, we do provide these effective treatments in an authentic way. All the medicines, doctors and therapists are from a reputable hospital in Kerala.
- We have treated 100s of sciatica patients at our branches. The average success rate, within the 7 – 10 days treatment, is approximately 60-70% for recovery for the patients.
- You can book in for a consultation with our Ayurvedic doctor. Dependent up on the patient’s condition, the doctor will recommend a suitable treatment. During the time of treatment and also after the treatment it is recommended that the patient follows a strict diet and rest is essential for better results.