Ayurvedic Spiced Greens
According to Ayurvedic principles the Ayurvedic spiced greens recipe is “tri-dhoshic” that has good benefits due to the turmeric used as an ingredient. Some of the key benefits of turmeric is the anti inflammatory compound it contains and it dramatically increases the antioxidant capacity of the body. In addition, to the benefits of turmeric this dish has a good source of vitamin C, iron and folic acid.
This recipe can consist of any greens that you may have available / prefer – kale, spinach, broccoli or even brussels sprouts.
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp cumin seed
- ½ tsp mustard seed
- 4 green chillies, finely chopped
- large piece fresh grated root ginger
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 500g shredded greens (kale / spinach / broccoli / brussels sprouts)
- 100g peas
- juice 1 lemon
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- small bunch coriander, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp unsweetened desiccated coconut
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick pan or wok, sizzle the cumin and mustard seeds for approximately 1 min add the chilli, ginger and turmeric. Fry until aromatic add the greens, a pinch of salt, a splash of water and the peas.
- Cover the pan and cook for 4-5 mins until the greens have wilted. Add lemon juice, ground coriander, half the fresh coriander and half the desiccated coconut, then mix everything together. Place into a serving dish and sprinkle the rest of the coconut and coriander.