Ayurvedic principles the use of raw foods is not usually recommended. Raw foods tend to be cold, dry, rough and hard to digest causing some people gas, bloating and constipation. However, in the right context meals can be made with raw foods so that it is acceptable.
The following salad recipe makes good use of healthy oils and warming ingredients to help counteract these qualities, making it a suitable option for all body-types in the Summer season.
Salads offer us a healthy meal option that is quick and easy to make. This nutrient rich salad recipe offers ample amount of Vitamins A, B, C, E, and K along with iron, calcium, zinc, omega-3’s, antioxidants, fiber and so much more. Utilising healthy oils, vinegar, lemon and black pepper will help to reduce the dry, cold qualities of the salad, making these nutrients easier to digest and absorb.
- Gluten Free
- Servings: 2 servings
- Time: 15-20 minutes
Ayurvedic Summer Salad Ingredients:
- 4 large leafs of Romaine lettuce, chopped
- 4 cups of baby spinach / kale leaf
- 3/4 cup chopped cucumber
- 10 pitted and sliced kalamata olives
- 7 artichoke hearts, sliced thinly
- 1 small avocado, peeled and cubed
- 3-4 Tbsp of raw hemp seeds, pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds (unsalted)
- 3 Tbsp of goat cheese feta crumbles (optional)
- 2-3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Juice from 1/2 of a lemon / lime
- Fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Chop up the lettuce, spinach, cucumber, olives, artichokes and avocado. Add to a large bowl.
- Toss thoroughly, until all of the ingredients are evenly dispersed.
- Add the hemp seeds (or other options), along with the feta cheese, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, lemon juice and black pepper.
- Gently toss again.
- Indulge and enjoy.
To learn more visit https://keralaayurvedacentre.co.uk/